Thursday, April 22, 2010

What I miss.....

Do you sometimes forget that you were an actual person with actual interests before the "chillen's" came along (southern for children....fyi)....don't get me wrong, there is nothing I'd rather be doing...I am loving the mom thing and I feel like things are as they should be right now in my life........BUT....

I can't believe that it was over 10 years ago that I lived in France. I really can't believe it. And do you know how bad my French is? MAUVAIS. Horrible....terrible.....(said in a very French accent)... it's seriously been since I worked with the French NOC during the Olympics in 2002 that I've really spoken good French. That's a loooooonnnnng time......


I'm seriously out of practice. I don't sit around and speak French all day. Because I know NOONE that speaks French. Because I haven't been back to France since my eldest was born. All contributers. OH, and don't forget the fact that my hubby HATES all things French. Especially the food (GASP!)....so what's a girl to do?
First of all, I stepped OUT of my comfort zone.
I have been spying on a lady at the library storytime every Thursday morning. Yes, you heard me correctly. SPYING. She is FRENCH (sigh.....oh la la...) and I hear her talking to her little boy. But coward me is too afraid to talk to her. So I just spy from afar and avoid, avoid. That's how awful my French is, in my mind. Scary. Scary scary scary.
Today. I. Opened. My. Mouth.
Yeah, me! I talked to my scary French lady! She is from Paris! She is tres parisienne. Tres chic. We talked for twenty minutes while my children ran wild. Yes, I only understand half of what she said to me, and nodded during the other half. And I actually opened my mouth and spoke French for the first time in ages. It felt SO good. It really did.

So.....

I have set a goal for myself. Oh yes. That's right. A GOAL. Something for ME.

ME!

I need something to work for. Something to look forward to. Nope, not a massage. Not a pedicure. Not a trip to Target ......

Here's a hint.....


Nope, I'm not going to learn the art of baguettes ....

here are a few more hints....


Nope, not adopting a little French boy......another hint?

Nope, not taking up knitting....

Now, this is a lot harder than it seems. For one, I have to plan at least 2 weeks away from my little peeps that I take care of all day. That is NOT going to be easy. Secondly, I have to really brush up on le francais....ALSO not an easy task. I'm going to have to cut some things out of my life to insert some study time. Not easily done. Already feel like there is NO extra time.

I'll keep you updated on my progress.....d'accord? It's a daunting task.

6 comments:

Julie Pia said...

ooh-la-la! How exciting for you!

Joy said...

Oh, that's great! Can I come with you? I will bring a Harry Potter and sit in the hotel while you tour around. Maybe I will throw up a few times on your shoes. Really, it will be fabulous. ;) Seriously, though, that will be a blast for you!

The Peach.... said...

You know you can come.....don't forget the yummy raw oysters. Mmmmmmmmmm.......

Annie G. said...

Oh how jealous I am...except I want to go somewhere all alone with a nice sandy beach and a palm tree. Ahhh...a girl can dream right?

Patrick and Jen said...

SOEUR, JE T'AIME TELLEMENT. JE VOUS AIDERAI À VOTRE RECHERCHE À PARLER FRANÇAIS .JE NE PEUX PAS CROIRE QU'IL N'AIME PAS LA NOURRITURE FRANÇAISE. INCROYABLE ! !
BISOUS.

FRERE H . :)

Lindz said...

Troy & Ryan Wittwer speak french!! We have been talking about a grown up trip to France. We went the first year we were married, but we would love to go again!