Thursday, December 30, 2010

My New Year's Resolution

At the close of 2010, I am trying to decide what 'realistic' New Year's resolution I would like to set for myself. Every year, I seem to set my sights too high, only to be disappointed at the results. This year, I decided to set a goal for our family. It just seems like, right now, everything I do revolves around the health and happiness of my family. There is a time and a season for everything, and right now, that time and season is my family.

So......for Christmas, my mom gave me this:

Have you heard of it?

I have to admit, I started sweating a little when I unwrapped it. Pressure. Oh, the pressure to improve something I know I am lacking in.

With a family that has a crazy schedule, football games, baseball games, sports practices, a self- employed hubby who works some crazy hours and likes to go to the gym after work, piano lessons, dance lessons, gymnastics, after school stuff, etc., etc.......who has time to SIT down at a regular time every night at the dinner table and have a civilized, organized, well prepared family dinner? I admit, I TRY. I do make a healthy dinner every night. But it's usually me doing all the work, and eating up at the island/bar. Sometimes we watch the news, too. And hubby nowhere in sight. AND it often ends with a child crying because he/she doesn't like what's for dinner, one child pretending it's comedy hour at the dinner table, and TONS of left-overs because noone will eat. And a very frustrated mom. Phew.

Soooooo.........for the last few days, I've been reading this book. And lo and behold, it's fabulous. It's inspiring. Full of ideas. Full of inspiration and positive thoughts. Rules of thumb for a sucessful dinner experience. Great recipes to try. Beautiful pictures. And LOTS of reasons why to keep trying to instigate family dinner. Oh, and there is even a helpful website to go along with it.....here

This is my New Year's Resolution. Family Dinner. At least 4 times a week. Children HELPING. Making new recipes. Trying new things. Making a weekly menu, putting it up where everyone can see it. Turning the TV off. Having meaningful conversation. Now, I need to work on a cute place to write the menu and job/meal chart. I have the perfect place to hang it. :)

Hold on to your meatballs. It could be a bumpy ride.

8 comments:

5norrisgirls said...

you have inspired me ... just ordered the book from amazon today! hopefully i'll get some great ideas as well! missing you!

Joy said...

Okay...I GUESS I will open the book and read it! ;) Seriously, though, I have the same goal so here.we.go.

Julie Pia said...

Looks like a great book Ad. I think I may grab a copy. Do you like it so far???

The Peach.... said...

I love it...I really do! I can totally see you digging it...

ailinh said...

Never heard of the book, but you have convinced me. And seriously, there is nothing better than books with beautiful pictures. I'm in.

AnneMarie said...

Alright, headed to Amazon to pick it up. My favorite go to cook book (and believe me I have a problem with buying them) is the Food Nanny Resuces Dinner. She is a Utah lady and I kid you not every thing I've made is yummy and kid and a hit with my kids.

6deans said...

What a great idea. Rachel had to prepare meals for 2 weeks for a personal progress goal and it was so nice having her help in the kitchen. Jake liked the idea that Rachel was able to pick what we had for her meals now he wants to prepare his meals for a week. I tell you it is nice having the kids help in the kitchen and it is amazing how much more they appreciate all it takes to get a dinner together. Good luck with your resolution =)

Kendra said...

THe book sounds great! Good luck with the resoltion! I always love having family dinners! I especially love when my husband helps with the dishes! :)