Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I savored every last drop...

Like a decadent dessert, I couldn't get enough of:



I finished The Help last night, and I'm ready to read it again. It is a must read if you haven't already.....it brought back so many memories for me, growing up in the South. One thing Kathryn Stockett is genius at is really making you love her characters. My heart felt like it was going to break when I read about the relationship between one black maid and a certain child that she cares for from birth. Getting to know Abileen (one of the maids in the book) was a treat. I love how she secretly teaches little Mae Mobley (the toddler she cares for) that black and white is the same and that everyone is beautiful, no matter what color their skin is.

I especially loved some of the relationships that some of the white women formed with their colored help. Not all of them were positive, but some were bonding friendships and sisterhoods. I had a friend, growing up in Atlanta, who had a black maid in her home. Her name was Sue....I spent a lot of time on her lap with her telling me stories of her grandma and mama growing up in the South. Everytime one of the characters in the book says, "Oh laaaawwwwww...." it brings back so many memories for me! And I smile......The way that these women talk is music to my ears...

Now, I don't blog too much about books, but this one tugged at my heartstrings and really made it's impression on me. So, y'all get out there and read it!

5 comments:

Kate said...

I am so glad you read the help and loved it...!!! Hope you are doing well...

Joy said...

Oooo I am so excited to get this one from my library. I am glad you ate it up and loved it so much, that makes me super excited!! LOVE the new blog!

The Peach.... said...

I love the "give me some sugar..." oh my gosh you are genius. Please be my personal assistant.

Mrs. Chapman said...

Some of my 8th grade students want to read this. Do you think it would be appropriate?

The Peach.... said...

Hi Mrs. Chapman.....there is a scene in the book of a naked man that comes out of the woods and chases the women around the yard...and it's quite detailed and graphic. So, I probably wouldn't recommend it for eighth graders simply because of this.....hope that helps!